Faithful To The End – Nehemiah 13
1. Why was it necessary to remove the Ammonites and Moabites from Israel (13:1-3; Deut 23:3-6)? In Nehemiah 11, the people committed to not intermarry. What possible negative effects were these non-Jews likely to have on the community of believers? What does this say about being unequally yoked with unbelievers today? See 2 Cor 6:14-15.
2. What evil thing does Eliashib do (13:4-5)? Why is Tobiah the wrong person to move into the temple courts (see also 2:19-20)? How does Nehemiah address Tobiah’s unacceptable living situation (13:8-9)?
3. How can we keep the Sabbath holy?
4. Nehemiah goes to dramatic lengths to restore order and holy living. What do you think of his actions? Are they odd? Or extreme? Do you think he is justified in acting this way? Why or why not?
5. What do you think were Nehemiah’s motives in his action? See 13:14. 22, 31.
6. When is anger a righteous anger? Who can we know if our anger is righteous or sinful?